Friday - May 14, 2010

From: Lakewood, CO
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Is the Magnolia 'Ann' safe for horses

I bought a magnolia "ann". Will it hurt my horses to eat any part of it?

According the U. S. National Arboretum, Magnolia 'Ann' is a hybrid of Magnolia liliflora 'Nigra' x Magnolia stellata 'Rosea'.  M. liliflora is a native of China and M. stellata is a native of Japan.

M. stellata is on the non-toxic portion of the Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant Lists—Horses from the ASPCA and no Magnolia species are on the toxic portion of this list.  Additionally, no Magnolia species occur on any of the following poisonous plants databases:

Poisonous Plants of North Carolina

Cornell University Plants Poisonous to Livestock

Toxic Plants of Texas 

University of Pennsylvania Poisonous Plants

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System