Wednesday - April 28, 2010

From: Ashley, PA
Title: Norway Pine vs. Norway Spruce

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, Is a Norway Pine the same species of tree as a Norway Spruce?

Pinus resinosa (red pine/Norway Pine) is native to the Northeast US and Canada despite its misleading name. Norway Spruce (Picea abies) is native to Europe so we do not have a lot of information about it in our database.

But, no, even though they are both in the same plant family (Pinaceae) they are neither the same Genus nor Species and are very different plants.

The mission of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes.

For that reason, if you are considering planting one or the other, we recommend you choose the native plant as it will contribute to your native ecosystem, providing seed for native birds and as a larval food host for the Northern pine sphinx moth.