Mr. Smarty Plants - Trimming time for non-native Pampas grass in Leland NC

Monday - April 26, 2010

From: Leland, NC
Title: Trimming time for non-native Pampas grass in Leland NC

QUESTION:

When is the best time to trim Pampas plants, onset of winter or onset of spring? Also, what's the best way to trim and how far should they be cut back?

ANSWER:

We are assuming you are talking about Pampas Grass. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the use, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. This website from the National Park Service, Andean Pampas Grass, tells why we don't like it, and discourage it being planted. However, since you asked, here is an article from Buzzle.com, Pampas Grass Maintenance.