Monday - March 22, 2004

From: Dallas, TX
Title: Low maintenance native plants for sun in Dallas

QUESTION:

What low maintenance ground cover would you recommend for a sunny backyard in Dallas?

ANSWER:

Dallas, TX is in the heart of a region known as the Blackland Prairie, and buffalo grass would literally be right at home. It is drought tolerant, requires full sun, grows to about 6 inches high and can be mown infrequently. To learn more about buffalo grass, you can read and download an article about Native Lawns from our Native Plant Library. Other plants ground covers that may work for you include shade tolerant plants: Pigeonberry (Rivina humilis), Texas sedge (Carex texensis), meadow sedge (Carex perdentata), and cedar sedge (Carex planostachys). Find out more information by researching through our Native Plants Database, a service of our Native Plant Information Network.