Wednesday - January 04, 2006

From: Honolulu, HI
Region: Hawaii
Title: State flower of Hawaii

What color is the state flower of Hawaii?

Yellow. In 1988 the Hawaii state legislature adopted the yellow-flowered Hawaiian native, Ma'o hau hele (Hibiscus brackenridgei) as its official state flower. Between 1922 and 1988 the entire Hibiscus genus - regardless of species, color and native and non-native alike -- was considered the Hawaiian state flower.

Hawaii's state tree, the Kukui tree (Aleurites moluccana) is the only non-native state tree in America. It is native to Malaysia and western Polynesia. Nevertheless, it is much-used and much-loved by the Hawaiian people.