En EspaÑol

Wednesday - April 28, 2010

Topic: Cacti and Succulents
Title: How can I eradicate 20 acres of cactus?

QUESTION:

Cactus eradication. I have about 20 acres that are covered to the point that it is not safe to walk on the property. What can I do? Are there classes out there for eradication?

ANSWER:

There are lots of plants that are called cactus (see previous answer), but when Mr. Smarty Plants sees the word eradication in conjunction with it, he thinks of the genus Opuntia Opuntia engelmannii (cactus apple).

Yours is not an easy task, and my first suggestion is to contact the folks at the Travis County office of the Texas AgriLife Extension Service. They can put you in touch with people who have had experience with this problem.

I found a website for a person who invented an implement used for cactus eradication that is called the "Kactus kicker". The site contains information explaining why cactus eradication is such a problem.

Another website from the "Kactus Krusher" offers his services for cactus eradication using an implement  similar to the "Kactus Kicker".

Cactus apple
Opuntia engelmannii

Cactus apple
Opuntia engelmannii