Monday - April 19, 2010

From: Red Rock, TX
Title: Freeze damage to non-native Sago Palms in Red Rock TX

I have 4 beautiful large sago palms in my rural Texas yard. All 4 have been damaged by several hard freezes this winter. All fronds are brown, with a little green at base of inner fronds. Are they all dead, or should I remove dead fronds and hope they come back?

This seems to be a fairly frequent problem in Texas. From a previous answer (like yesterday):

Cycas revoluta, Sago Palm, is native to temperate Asia, most particularly Japan, which places it out of our area of expertise. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is committed to the use, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the are in which the plant is being grown.

Here is a website from Floridata that should help you.  Sun Palm Trees