Wednesday - April 28, 2010

From: PLANO, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Need help diagnosing a problem with Bur Oak in Plano, TX

QUESTION:

I planted a bur oak 8 or 9 years ago. It has grown beautifully until this year. When opening, the leaves are very small (a couple inches) and there are lots of seeds (catkins?). I would hate to lose this tree.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants has found that is very difficult, if not impossible, to diagnose plant problems from a written description. You need to have some one to look at the tree in order to determine what the problem is. My suggestion is to contact the folks at the Collin County AgriLife Extension Office, or consult  a certified arborist in your area, or both.