Sunday - April 18, 2010

From: Topeka, KS
Title: Pruning of non-native Mimosa in Topeka KS

QUESTION:

Read the Mimosa answer with much interest - other websites are love and hate this tree - we love ours - had one before that was multiple trunk and bought one from local nursery that seems to be single trunk as you describe - query - how much can we cut it back - we would like to control its height by cutting it to "Nubbins" our word in late fall so it does not obscure view from deck - too much pruning hurt it?

ANSWER:

As you probably know from reading the previous website, the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is committed to the care, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plant is being grown. Because of large number of questions we are asked, usually answered by a small band of volunteers, we must confine ourself to answers on native plants only.

You might want to read some of the pros and cons on Dave's Garden, a forum, on Albizia julibrissin, Mimosa, which is native to temperate and tropical Asia, and therefore out of our range of expertise. Another forum, iVillage GardenWeb, has some suggestions on pruning a Mimosa.