Friday - April 16, 2010

From: Midland, TX
Title: Identification of plant in Menard TX

We recently purchased 40 acres in Menard Texas on the San Saba River. There is a plant that looks like a fern that is all over the river bottom. It looks like the foliage on a carrot and they are already 4-5 ft tall this month. What is this and what do we do to control it without damanging to much of the habitat for wildlife?

This sounds like a pretty interesting plant, but doesn't ring any bells with us. Go to the Plant Identification section of "Ask Mr. Smarty Plants," follow all the instructions very carefully, including the format in which the pictures are sent, and we will try to identify it for you. Since this plant is probably growing in other areas around you, we suggest you contact the Texas A&M AgriLIFE Extension Office for Menard County, and see if they can help you.