Mr. Smarty Plants - Hardiness of non-native Lycium barbarum for Saschatewan

Monday - December 19, 2005

From: Paynton, SK
Region: Canada
Title: Hardiness of non-native Lycium barbarum for Saschatewan

QUESTION:

Lycium barbarnum. What is its hardiness and where can it be grown?

ANSWER:

Matrimony vine (Lycium barbarum) is introduced from Asia, but now can be found in all the contiguous states of the US except Arizona, Louisiana, and Florida. It does have edible and medicinal uses. Plants for a Future lists its hardiness to about -15 degrees C. (5 degrees F.) B & T World Seeds lists its hardiness to about -23 degrees C (-10 degrees F.) or suitable for USDA Zone 6. Saskatewan appears to be in Zone 3 as seen on the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone map where the minimum temperatures can be as low as -40 degrees C. (-40 degrees F.). If you want to grow it in Saskatchewan, you should consider doing so in a greenhouse.