Saturday - April 24, 2010

From: Pearland, TX
Title: Tree for sound block near Houston

I live in Pearland, just south of Houston and am looking for a tree that I can plant along my fenceline between my neighbor and me that will block noise. We have a pool and entertain a lot, but they are older and complain about the noise. I have seen in some of your other postings wax myrtle or Texas Mountain Laurel. Will these grow well in Houston? The area gets full sun.

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle) will certainly do well in Houston, but Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain-laurel) is not likely to do well since its range is the Texas hill country.  Mr. Smarty Plants assumes you want an evergreen tree to act as a noise barrier all year long.  Here are some other trees that are evergreen and are native to Harris County.

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon)

Magnolia virginiana (sweetbay)

Ilex opaca (American holly

Ehretia anacua (knockaway)

Juniperus virginiana (eastern redcedar)

Prunus caroliniana (Carolina laurelcherry)

Pinus taeda (loblolly pine)

You can find other trees, though not necessarily evergreen, for your area our Texas-East Recommended page.

Here are photos from our Image Gallery of the plants above:

Magnolia virginiana

Ilex opaca

Ehretia anacua

Juniperus virginiana

Juniperus virginiana

Prunus caroliniana

Pinus taeda