Mr. Smarty Plants - Color of Englemann's daisy (Engelmannia peristenia)

Sunday - April 11, 2010

Topic: Wildflower Center, Wildflowers
Title: Color of Englemann's daisy (Engelmannia peristenia)

QUESTION:

I'm in Austin and just bought some Engelmann's Daisies at the plant sale on Fri. The picture had them with white petals, and your plant database has them with yellow petals. I specifically wanted white to alternate with my Damianita, which are yellow. So are they white or yellow?

ANSWER:

The flowers of Engelmannia peristenia (Engelmann's daisy) are yellow as shown on our information sign. We think you may have intended to pick up some plants of the white-flowered Erigeron modestus (plains fleabane) which were situated beside them on our sale table.  We're very sorry for the confusion!

Engelmann's daisy
Engelmannia peristenia

Plains fleabane
Erigeron modestus