Mr. Smarty Plants - Salvia that needs dividing in Maryville MO

Friday - April 09, 2010

From: Maryville, MO
Topic: Non-Natives, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Salvia that needs dividing in Maryville MO

QUESTION:

I have some May Night salvia that is 3 years old. Last summer it split in the middle and spent a lot of the summer laid open. I'm wondering if it needs to be split or pruned in some way?

ANSWER:

The 'May Night' is a trade name for one of the many salvias; whether or not it is a salvia native to North America, we couldn't find out. However, being hybridized already excludes them from being termed native plants. At the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center we are dedicated to the use, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which it is being grown. But a salvia is a salvia, regardless, and we can give you some general care instructions that should help. 

We even found two different botanical names for this plant:  Salvia nemorosa 'Mainacht' and  Salvia x sylvestris 'May Night, still not native. Here are a couple of websites that will give you some information on caring for your plants:

Nature Home Nursery How Do I Care for Salvias?

National Gardening Association, Plant Care Guides-Salvia