Mr. Smarty Plants - Where to buy native grass seeds for Blanco County Texas

Wednesday - April 07, 2010

From: Houston, TX
Title: Where to buy native grass seeds for Blanco County Texas

QUESTION:

Can you recommend what kind and where to buy native grass seeds to sow on land in Blanco County which has just been cleared of cedar and burned?

ANSWER:

Native American Seeds in Junction has grass seed mixes for several different regions of Texas.   For Blanco County, their Midway Mix and/or Caliche Mix should be ideal. It is time to sow now so that the warm spring rains will help germinate the seeds.

Here are some of the grasses that are in these mixes:

Bouteloua dactyloides (buffalograss)

Bouteloua gracilis (blue grama)

Schizachyrium scoparium (little bluestem)

Hilaria belangeri (curly-mesquite)

Bouteloua curtipendula (sideoats grama)

Sorghastrum nutans (Indiangrass)

Here are photos of these grasses from our Image Gallery:

Bouteloua dactyloides

Bouteloua gracilis

Hilaria belangeri var. belangeri

Bouteloua curtipendula

Sorghastrum nutans