Friday - April 16, 2010

From: San Luis Obispo, CA
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Is the California Poppy posionous to dogs?

Can you tell me if the wild orange-colored California poppy is poisonous to dogs? They grow like weeds in my yard. Thanks.

As you probably know, the California Poppy Eschscholzia californica (California poppy) is the state flower of California and is found throughout the state. It is a member of the family Papaveraceae which also contains the Opium Poppy Papaver somniferum.

When we get questions about poisonous plants, there are several databases from various parts of the U.S. that we consult. I have looked through the four listed below and have not found Eschscholzia listed as poisonous to dogs.

This does't mean that the plant is absolutely non-toxic to dogs, but the chances of it being toxic are pretty low.

UC Davis               

Purdue University                   

Cornell University