Wednesday - March 31, 2010

From: Salado, TX
Topic: Transplants, Privacy Screening
Title: Evergreen screen for newly constructed metal building

Neighbor built a 12' tall metal building right by my gate. I want to screen it with fast-growing evergreen natives. I have lots of ashe juniper on my property, but none where I need it now! Can AJ be transplanted? How? Or what other solution? Waxmyrtle? EG Sumac? Help! Thanks!

With most people struggling to get rid of (or at least keep in check) Juniperus ashei (Ashe's juniper) you would think it would be easy to transplant.  It isn't—at least not as a reasonably large-sized shrub. Unfortunately,  it is very difficult to transplant.  You might get away with transplanting some very small plants if you carefully get all the roots; but, you can pretty well write off transplanting larger ones. You might do well with nursery trees that were grown in containers, however.  You can check our National Suppliers Directory for nurseries in your area that might carry junipers.  Juniperus virginiana (eastern redcedar) also grows in the area and isn't considered as invasive as Ashe's juniper and more likely to be found in a nursery setting.

Both Rhus virens (evergreen sumac) and Morella cerifera (wax myrtle) are good choices.  There are dwarf cultivars of wax myrtle so check carefully when you buy.  Here are some other evergreen possibilities:

Garrya ovata ssp. lindheimeri (Lindheimer's silktassel) and here is more information

Prunus caroliniana (Carolina laurelcherry)

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon)

Leucophyllum frutescens (Texas barometer bush)

You might also consider putting up a latticework or wire fence and growing evergreen vines on it, such as:

Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle)

Gelsemium sempervirens (evening trumpetflower)

Bignonia capreolata (crossvine)

All of the plants above have rapid to moderate growth.

You can find many of these plants for sale (no junipers, however) at our Spring Plant Sale.

Here are photos from our Image Gallery:

Juniperus ashei

Juniperus virginiana

Rhus virens

Garrya ovata ssp. lindheimeri

Leucophyllum frutescens

Prunus caroliniana

Lonicera sempervirens

Gelsemium sempervirens

Bignonia capreolata