En EspaÑol

Sunday - March 21, 2010

From: Bluffton, SC
Topic: Deer Resistant
Title: Flowering, deer resistant plants for South Carolina

QUESTION:

Can you tell me which flowering plants are deer resistant and will grow in South Carolina?

ANSWER:

We went to our Special Collections, where we selected the section on Deer-Resistant Plants. We narrowed our search by selecting South Carolina and "Herb" (General Appearance) or herbaceous blooming plant, and which produced a list of 61 plants. You didn't say if you had sun or shade, wet or dry soil, etc., but you can run the search yourself, choosing the requirements for your particular purpose and area. These are all South Carolina natives, but you must remember that "deer-resistant" is not "deer-proof." Deer don't read lists, and eat pretty much whatever they like, especially if they are hungry, which they nearly always are.