Wednesday - March 24, 2010

From: Stone Mountain, GA
Topic: Non-Natives, Pruning
Title: Why aren't my Forsythias blooming in Stone Mountain, GA?

QUESTION:

We have a large forsythia stand that has bloomed beautifully for 14 years in a row. Two summers ago I cut them way back in July. For the past two years they have only leafed out, no, or very few blooms. Any ideas. Thanks

ANSWER:

Let me begin by pointing out that the focus of the Lady Bird Wildflower Center is the care and propation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. Forsythia, being native to eastern Asia, is outside our area of expertise.

However this website from about.com contains some suggestions about the care and pruning of your Forsythias.