Friday - March 26, 2010

From: Calera, AL
Topic: Erosion Control, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Plants with color for steep slope in Calera, Alabama

QUESTION:

I have a large steep slope in my back yard that the developer called a privacy break. It has poor soil and gets full sun. I have planted muhly and maiden grasses but would like some color. The slope is very hard to walk on and need something with low maintenance. I live in Calera Alabama. Can you please help me?

ANSWER:

Here are some plants that are native to your area that produce colorful blooms in full sun that should do well on your slope:

Gaillardia pulchella (firewheel)

Oenothera speciosa (pinkladies)

Monarda citriodora (lemon beebalm)

Rudbeckia hirta (blackeyed Susan)

Chamaecrista fasciculata (partridge pea)

Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida (Dakota mock vervain)

Liatris elegans (pinkscale blazing star)

Phlox pilosa (downy phlox)

Here are photos of the above plants from our Image Gallery: