Monday - March 22, 2010

Title: Small, drought and shade-tolerant perennials for Austin, Texas

QUESTION:

We need suggestions for small, drought- and shade-tolerant perennials to be planted in Austin, Texas, please.

ANSWER:

Please visit our Recommended Species page where you will find under the "Just for Central Texans" a topic called "Dry Shade Plants for Central Texas".  I think that pretty well describes what you are looking for.  Here are a few examples from that list that should do well for you, plus there are many more on the list to consider.

Carex cherokeensis (Cherokee sedge)

Chasmanthium latifolium (Inland sea oats)

Conoclinium coelestinum (blue mistflower)

Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii (wax mallow)

Packera obovata (golden groundsel)

Salvia roemeriana (cedar sage)

Here are photos of the above plants from our Image Gallery: 

Carex cherokeensis

Conoclinium coelestinum

Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii

Packera obovata

Salvia roemeriana