Thursday - March 18, 2010

From: Conroe, TX
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Screen for highway noise in Conroe, Texas

QUESTION:

I have 120' of fence line which backs up to a busy highway, and now there are plans to widen it to four lanes. Is there a native tree or shrub which could help dampen the noise and block out the view of the traffic?

ANSWER:

It sounds like you need a tree/shrub that is evergreen and relatively dense.  Here are some suggested trees that are evergreen and grow in Montgomery County or adjacent counties:

Juniperus virginiana (eastern redcedar) grows slowly up to 50 feet but can be pruned to form a hedge.

Prunus caroliniana (Carolina laurelcherry) fast growing up to 36 feet.

Pinus taeda (loblolly pine) fast growing up to 50 feet.

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon) slow growth rate to 25 feet.

Magnolia grandiflora (southern magnolia) moderate growth rate to 40 feet.

Ilex opaca (American holly) slow growth rate to 40 feet.

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle) moderate growth rate to 10 feet.

Here are photos of the above plants from our Image Gallery:

Juniperus virginiana

Prunus caroliniana

Pinus taeda

Magnolia grandiflora

Ilex opaca