Monday - March 15, 2010

From: Los Fresnos, TX
Topic: Drought Tolerant
Title: Small native plants to line driveway in Los Fresnos, Texas

I have a 70' driveway. What are recommended drought resistant dwarf (no more than 3 feet) plants to line the driveway?

Here are some native plants from your area that are within the size range you want or can be pruned to stay within that range.  You can see more possibilities by choosing South Texas from the map or the pull down menu on our Recommended Species page: 

Abutilon hypoleucum (whiteleaf Indian mallow)

Atriplex canescens (fourwing saltbush) semi-evergreen

Chamaecrista fasciculata (partridge pea)

Euphorbia antisyphilitica (candelilla) evergreen

Larrea tridentata (creosote bush) evergreen

Lantana urticoides (West Indian shrubverbena)

Leucophyllum frutescens (Texas barometer bush) evergreen and there are compact varieties available

Malpighia glabra (wild crapemyrtle) evergreen in South Texas and dwarf varieties are available

Nolina texana (Texas sacahuista) evergreen

Opuntia ellisiana (tigertongue) evergreen

Pavonia lasiopetala (Texas swampmallow)

Salvia greggii (autumn sage) evergreen in South Texas

Wedelia texana (hairy wedelia) evergreen in South Texas

Rio grande abutilon
Abutilon hypoleucum

Atriplex canescens

Partridge pea
Chamaecrista fasciculata

Euphorbia antisyphilitica

Creosote bush
Larrea tridentata

Texas lantana
Lantana urticoides

Leucophyllum frutescens

Barbados cherry
Malpighia glabra

Texas sacahuista
Nolina texana

Spineless prickly pear
Opuntia ellisiana

Rock rose
Pavonia lasiopetala

Autumn sage
Salvia greggii