Friday - March 05, 2010

From: Kissimmee, FL
Title: Need source of Texas Madrone seeds or seedlings in Kissimmee FL.

QUESTION:

Where can I can purchase seeds or seedlings for a Texas Madrone Tree? I appreciate your help. Thank you,

ANSWER:

Arbutus xalapensis (Texas madrone) is a Texas native and Mr. Smarty Plants thinks that it might not be happy in Florida. Reading the information on its Native Plant Database page and the Distribution Map on the USDA Plant Profile page may lead you to the same conclusion.

We have had inquiries recently about Madrone seeds and seedlings, so I am going to refer you to two previously answered questions that have good information: question #1; and question #2  (the problems with the Natives of Texas site seem to have been solved).

Because germination is more successful with seeds prepared from freshly harvested berries, you are more likely to find seedlings than seeds.

This link provides descriptions of attempts to propagate Madrone trees.

Arbutus xalapensis