En EspaÑol

Friday - February 26, 2010

From: Brandon, FL
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Screening plant for wall in Florida

QUESTION:

Hi Mr. Smarty Pants, I live near Tampa, FL and I want to put a line of privacy plants/hedges along a brick wall. The wall is 6' high with openings in the top 3' of the wall. The length of the wall is approximately 50'. I have allergies, so have to avoid flowering plants that have strong smells. I am looking for a plant that will provide privacy throughout the year. Thanks for any suggestions!

ANSWER:

Here are some suggestions for evergreen shrubs and vines that are native to your area.  None of the flowers of these plants are noted to be fragrant:

Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle) is an evergreen vine. The beautiful red flowers are not fragrant like the invasive Lonicera japonica (Japanese honeysuckle).  You can read more about the vine from Missouri Botanical Garden and Duke University.

Chiococca alba (West Indian milkberry or snowberry) is an evergreen shrub/vine.  Here is more information from the University of Florida Cooperative Extension Service.

Coccoloba uvifera (seagrape) is an evergreen shrub or small tree.  Here are photos and more information from Floridata and from the University of Florida Cooperative Extension Service.

Conocarpus erectus (button mangrove) is a small evergreen tree.  Here photos and more information from Floridata and from the University of Florida Cooperative Extension Service.

Dodonaea viscosa (Florida hopbush) is an evergreen shrub.  Here is more information from the University of Florida Cooperative Extension Service.

Forestiera segregata (Florida swampprivet) is an evergreen shrub.  Here are photos from Valdosta University and more information from University of Florida Cooperative Extension Service.

Hamelia patens (scarletbush) is a small evergreen shrub.  Here are photos and more information from the Missouri Botanical Garden and from Plant Creations.

Ilex glabra (inkberry) is an evergreen shrub.  Here is more information from the Missouri Botanical Garden.

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon) is a small evergreen tree.

Lycium carolinianum (Carolina desert-thorn) and here is more information from the University of Florida Cooperative Extension Service.

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle) is an evergreen shrub.

Psychotria nervosa (Seminole balsamo or wild coffee) is an evergreen shrub and here are photos and more information from Coral Springs.

Suriana maritima (bay cedar) is an evergreen shrub or small tree.  Here is more information from the University of Florida Cooperative Extension Service and photos and information from Plant Creations.

Ilex myrtifolia (myrtle dahoon) is an evergreen shrub.  Here are more photos from Duke University.

You can find more plants for your area on our Florida Recommended page and Natives to Grow in Hillsborough County on the Florida Native Plant Society page.

Here are photos of some of the above plants from our Image Gallery:

Lonicera sempervirens

Chiococca alba

Dodonaea viscosa

Ilex glabra

Lycium carolinianum

Ilex myrtifolia