En Espa—ol

Thursday - November 17, 2005

From: Dallas, TX
Topic: Plant Laws
Title: Native plant town ordinances in New Mexico/Chihuahuan Desert

QUESTION:

I'm interested in city/town landscape ordinances in the New Mexico/Chihuahuan Desert area. What towns do you think do a good job using native plants?

ANSWER:

The University of New Mexico in Albuquerque has projects that have featured native plants. You can read about the efforts of UNM in controlling landscaping maintenance time and costs by planting native plants. The University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center features a new entrance that is landscaped with native plants. In 1994, the City of Albuquerque launched a water conservation plan that offered incentives to water customers, commercial and residential, who converted to low-water use native plants. You can read about their current Xeriscape Rebate & Designs.

The 1999 Santa Fe Metro Area Highway Corridor Plan recommends the preservation of native plants and use of native and xeriscape plants for landscaping along the highway corridors. To find out about city ordinances pertaining to landscaping your best bet is to contact the city of interest. The Native Plant Society of New Mexico should be able to provide more information about the use of native plants by municipalities in the state.