Friday - February 12, 2010

From: Somerset , MA
Title: Non-native Chamaedorea cataractarum question from Somerset MA
Answered by: Barbara Medford and Joe Marcus

I have a Chamaedorea Cataractarum palm and I was wondering what a clumping palm is. From what part of the plant do the new fronds emerge? Was trying to look all over the web but can't find it. If you could let me know it will be very much appreciated.

Chamaedorea cataractarum, cat palm, is native to Northeastern Mexico. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the use, care and protection of plants native not only to North America (excluding Mexico) but to the area in which they are  being grown. Most indoor plants are non-natives, as only tropical plants can endure the extreme conditions indoors. We did find a website where you should be able to get some good information-The Palm Society Northern California Chapter. Clumping palms - not to be confused with clumping bamboos-are species that form multiple stems or trunks.