Wednesday - January 27, 2010

From: Crockett, TX
Topic: Pruning, Trees
Title: Should I top my scraggly magnolia tree? No

QUESTION:

Mr.Smarty Plants, I live in Crockett,Tx. My husband and I just bought this house. In the front yard I have a very tall,scraggly magnolia tree due to trees growing up around it. We have cut some of those trees down and I want to know if I should top the tree by 15+ft? I would rather have a shorter,fuller tree. Would that be ok and when is the best time to do it? She just looks so pitiful..

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks the answers to your questions are NO and NEVER*.

Here are three websites that supply more details to corroborate these answers.

Plant Amnesty

Urban Tree Foundation

Trees Are Good by the International Society of Arboriculture

I suggest that you consult a certified arborist to help you with this problem. The "Trees are Good" website can provide you with information for locating and selecting an arborist  in you area.

* trimming to clear utility lines could be an exception