Thursday - January 21, 2010

Topic: Propagation, Seeds and Seeding, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Research on Atriplex confertifolia in Austin

QUESTION:

I have heard a lot about Atriplex confertifolia (Shadscale). Has the Center done any research/trial growing of this plant for possible adaptability to Hill Country (west Austin) area? If this is a candidate for use in our area, any ideas on where to obtain a plant for trial in our own NW Austin garden?

ANSWER:

At this point, no research is being done by the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center on Atriplex confertifolia (shadscale saltbush). It is, however, presently being grown in our Gardens at the Center, so it is native to Central Texas, since that's what we grow in our Gardens. We can refer you to some research that has been done by others. Follow the above link to the page in our database on this plant and find out what we already know about it. About 2/3 down that page is a section FIND SEEDS OR PLANTS which gives you links to suppliers for that plant. You can also go to our National Suppliers Directory, put your town and state in the "Enter Search Location" box and you will get a list of native plant nurseries and seed suppliers in your general area. They all have contact information and can let you know if they stock the plant or if they can order it for you. 

Here is more information from other sources you can check into:

CalPhotos Berkeley Photos of Atriplex confertifolia

Wikipedia

Utah State University Extension Shadscale

USDA Forest Service Chenopodiaceae-Shadscale

gardenguides.com Shadscale Saltbush

American Journal of Botany Geographical Differentiation in Atriplex confertolia

Shadscale
Atriplex confertifolia

Shadscale
Atriplex confertifolia

Shadscale
Atriplex confertifolia

Shadscale
Atriplex confertifolia