Thursday - January 21, 2010

From: Madison, GA
Title: Establishing a wildflower meadow in Madison GA

QUESTION:

Can a wildflower meadow be established by seeding in a sunny pasture without removing all existing vegetation, just mowing low and slightly loosening soil with the teeth on a front end loader?

ANSWER:

We are always excited by plans to establish a wildflower meadow, and we have two articles written by experts from the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center that will help you more than we could. The first is A Guide to Native Plant Gardening which has a section on "Soil Preparation," referenced in the second article, Meadow Gardening. Both of these articles refer to Central Texas, because that is where we are located, but the principles are the same, regardless of where you are gardening.