Mr. Smarty Plants - Bluebonnet peak for 2010

Thursday - January 14, 2010

From: Owensboro, KY
Title: Bluebonnet peak for 2010
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

What does 2010 look for bluebonnets in Texas. When will they peak?

ANSWER:

Quoting the answer from a very recent (January 5, 2010) question:

"Early April is very consistently the height of the flowering season for Lupinus texensis (Texas bluebonnet) in Central Texas.  Weather conditions can vary the season by just a few days either way, but not enough to really notice.  Weather plays a greater role in the development of any year's Bluebonnet crop.  In general, good fall rains improve the show for the following season.  However, other variables such as germination rate, competing winter grasses, etc, also affect the flower crop.

So far this year (keeping our fingers crossed) the crop for spring of 2010 looks very promising."