En EspaÑol

Monday - January 11, 2010

From: Marshall, TX
Title: Grass planting time in East Texas

When is a good time to plant grass in East Texas - Harrison County? Thanks so much.

First, we trust you are planning to plant native grasses? The so-called "lawn grasses," things like bermudagrass and St. Augustine, are not only non-native but can be invasive, especially the bermudagrass. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is committed to the growth, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are  being grown. We will operate on the assumption that native grasses are what you are planning.

To begin with, we suggest you read our How-To Article Native Lawns. This gives you extensive advice on choosing the grasses, planting and caring for them. For instance, it indicates that sowing of the seed should be in early Spring, which answers your question.

For more help with grasses, we suggest you take a look at the Native American Seed website. For instance, under "Grass Mixes" we found the Eastern Savannah Grass Mix