Mr. Smarty Plants - Groundcovers for Sarasota County, Florida

Saturday - January 02, 2010

From: North Port, FL
Topic: Groundcovers
Title: Groundcovers for Sarasota County, Florida

QUESTION:

I would like to replace the grass in my yard with native or any other appropriate ground cover. I live in North Port, Sarasota County Florida. I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thank you in advance.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants found these groundcovers recommended by the Native Plant Society of Florida for the Sarasota County area and also in our Native Plant Database:

Canavalia rosea (beach bean)

Dyschoriste oblongifolia (oblongleaf snakeherb)

Ipomoea pes-caprae (bayhops)

Phyla nodiflora (turkey tangle fogfruit)

Sesuvium portulacastrum (shoreline seapurslane)

Sisyrinchium angustifolium (narrowleaf blue-eyed grass)

Zamia pumila (coontie) and here are photos and more information

Gaylussacia dumosa (dwarf huckleberry)

Vaccinium myrsinites (shiny blueberry) and here is more information.

Here are photos from our Image Gallery:

Dyschoriste oblongifolia

Ipomoea pes-caprae

Phyla nodiflora

Sesuvium portulacastrum

Sisyrinchium angustifolium

Gaylussacia dumosa

Vaccinium myrsinites