En EspaŅol
Share

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants

Mr. Smarty Plants - Could ammonia harm poisonous, non-native oleander in Bay Point CA

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants is a free service provided by the staff and volunteers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Search Smarty Plants
    
 
See a list of all Smarty Plants questions
Can't find the answer in our existing FAQs, submit a question to Mr. Smarty Plants.

Need help with plant identification, visit the plant identification page.
 
rate this answer
4 ratings

Sunday - December 20, 2009

From: Bay Point, CA
Region: California
Topic: Non-Natives, Compost and Mulch, Poisonous Plants
Title: Could ammonia harm poisonous, non-native oleander in Bay Point CA
Answered by: Barbara Medford

QUESTION:

Could ammonia harm my Oleander plant? I have been spraying ammonia under it to keep neighborhood cats from using the soil under the plant as a sand box. If so, do you have any suggestions as to what I may use instead? Thank you.

ANSWER:

Ammonia is a compound of one part nitrogen and three parts hydrogen. Household ammonia or "ammonium hydroxide" is combined with water, with usually only 5 to 10 per cent of the resulting product being ammonia. Since both nitrogen and hydrogen are already in the environment, and nitrogen, at least, is beneficial to the soil, it is unlikely that it is going to cause any damage. We wouldn't recommend spraying it directly onto the plant leaves, but it shouldn't harm the dirt or the roots.

If we may take this opportunity, we would like to remind you that the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the use, care and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plant is being grown. Nerium oleander is native to Africa, Asia and and the Mediterranean. We realize it is widely used in California, but would like to point out one other  characteristic of oleander that may be more important than whether ammonia will harm it. Nerium oleander is one of the most poisonous plants known, with all parts of the plant being toxic. Ingestion of just one leaf can cause heart attack and death. Some of the poisons it contains are cardiotonic glycoside (oldendrine), prussic acid and rutin. Skin contact with the plant can cause severe dermatitis. Burning it will release toxins that can cause intoxication. We would recommend that it be carefully removed, wearing gloves and protective clothing, bagged and disposed of properly, NOT burned nor consigned to the compost pile, where the toxins would continue to be dangerous. 

Now, back to the dirt in your garden and the cats. Rather than spraying ammonia or some other aromatic liquid on the dirt, try a good heavy mulching with shredded bark mulch. Cats don't like scratching in that, its fragrance will alleviate some of the urine smell which is attracting the cats back to the same place, and it will enrich and amend the soil. 

 

More Non-Natives Questions

Problems with non-native weeping willow from Hazlet NJ
July 03, 2013 - Leaves turning yellow on weeping willow planted in May. What causes this and how can I fix it? Mother's Day gift after SANDY uprooted huge tree.
view the full question and answer

Rotating a non-native cypress in its hole in Annapolis, MD
April 02, 2009 - I have a follow up question to a Cypress transplant question from December 28, 2008. We trimmed our 5 1/2 foot Dwarf Hinoki Cypress back too far, and now the side facing the street has some bare spot...
view the full question and answer

Habiturf for Round Rock TX
March 17, 2013 - Topic Habiturf. We have just aerated our lawn. We were planning on throwing out bermudagrass seed. We already have bermudagrass as well as many weeds in the lawn especially the blue stem clump grass w...
view the full question and answer

Native plants more beneficial for Maryland and Chesapeake Bay?
April 07, 2010 - Why are native plant species more beneficial than non native plant species for the state of Maryland and the Chesapeake Bay?
view the full question and answer

Organic means for ridding garden of stinging ants
April 18, 2008 - Dear Mr. Smarty Pants, I have a butterfly garden that is filled with native plants the butterflies LOVE! However I have a colony of red ants that have moved in. I need to trim some of the more inva...
view the full question and answer

Smarty Plants's Facebook profile Support the Wildflower Center by Donating Online or Becoming a Member today.

Mr. Smarty Plants wants you to be his Facebook friend. Click the Facebook icon to add yourself to Mr. Smarty Plants list of friends.
E-NEWSLETTER | BECOME A MEMBER | DONATE NOW | MEDIA | SITEMAP
© 2014 Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center