Mr. Smarty Plants - Need help with pruning my Anacacho Orchid tree.

Monday - January 04, 2010

From: Kerrville, TX
Topic: Pruning, Trees
Title: Need help with pruning my Anacacho Orchid tree.

QUESTION:

We have an Anacacho Orchid Tree which has done so well in its location that we will need to prune it back. Please advise how much we can prune it and what time of year to do so. Thank you

ANSWER:

The Anacacho Orchid tree Bauhinia lunarioides (Texasplume) is a rapid grower that makes a gorgeous display with its silvery-gray bark and white flowers that resemble orchids. Flowers occur primarily in March, April, May and sporadically through the warm months.  Its nectar attracts butterflies and bees.

The timing of pruning is explained in this article from Texas AgriLife Extension Service, and one of its points is that spring-flowering shrubs bloom on last season's growth and should be pruned soon after they bloom. This allows for vigorous summertime growth and results in plenty of flower buds the following year.  Pruning these shrubs in the fall would remove the buds, and diminish spring flowering.

This article from Purdue University Cooperative Extension Service  offers a comprehensive discussion of the pruning of trees and shrubs.

Anacacho orchid tree
Bauhinia lunarioides