Friday - December 11, 2009

From: San Jose, CA
Title: Plant identification of tree with strawberry-like fruit

QUESTION:

On my walk home from work i noticed a red berry i had never seen before. It is soft like a strawberry, bumpy all over but the bumps are not individual as a raspberry has. It grows on a tall bush (very much like a tree), grows individually like a cherry and the berry has no noticeable seeds on the outside like a strawberry. I will try to get a pic or two and send them later this week. Thank You.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks perhaps your tree with the strawberry-like fruit could be Arbutus unedo, strawberry tree.  It is native to the Mediterranean area, western Europe, and Ireland.  Here are more photos and information.  If this doesn't happen to be your plant, please send us photos.  Visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page for instructions on submitting photos.