Mr. Smarty Plants - Vine for privacy on a deck in Southern California

Thursday - December 10, 2009

From: Los Angeles, CA
Title: Vine for privacy on a deck in Southern California

QUESTION:

I am looking for a climbing vine/plant that is non-flowering and can be grown year round in Southern California. We are looking to help create a private area along a deck for my grandmother because her deck is close to the road. She prefers that there are no flowers or strong scents. Thank you in advance, I've been searching online and surprising cannot find anything.

ANSWER:

Well, perhaps we can find a vine with flowers that are not showy, but all the vines native to Southern California we know about are flowering plants. Here are some suggested vines native to Southern California:

The following vines have flowers that are NOT considered fragrant:

Calystegia macrostegia (California morning glory) should remain evergreen with adequate summer water.

Keckiella cordifolia (heartleaf keckiella) should be evergreen in Los Angeles.  Here are photos.

Vitis californica (California wild grape) is deciduous.  Here are photos and information about Roger's Red cultivar.

Vitis girdiana (desert wild grape) and here are more photos and information.

Parthenocissus vitacea (woodbine) and here are photos and more information.

The flowers on the following vines ARE considered fragrant:

Clematis lasiantha (pipestem clematis) is deciduous and fragrant.

Clematis ligusticifolia (western white clematis) is deciduous and fragrant.

Lonicera hispidula (pink honeysuckle) is deciduous and fragrant.  Here are more photos and information.

Here are some photos from our Image Gallery:

Calystegia macrostegia

Vitis girdiana

Clematis lasiantha

Clematis ligusticifolia

Lonicera hispidula