Mr. Smarty Plants - Mealybugs on non-native Lady Palm in Houston

Monday - November 30, 2009

From: Houston, TX
Title: Mealybugs on non-native Lady Palm in Houston

QUESTION:

Rather than dabbing rubbing alcohol on the leaves of an indoor lady palm infested with mealybugs,since the infestation is widespread, would spraying the palm with the rubbing alcohol be effective?

ANSWER:

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is committed to the care, propagation and preservation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. From Plant-Care.com, here is a website on Rhapis excelsa - The Lady Palm that can give you some leads to the answer to your question. It is native to Southeast Asia; very few plants that will flourish indoors in pots are native to North America, they tend to be tropicals.