Mr. Smarty Plants - Vine to cover fence line in Bridgeport, Texas

Friday - December 04, 2009

From: Bridgeport, TX
Title: Vine to cover fence line in Bridgeport, Texas

QUESTION:

We are looking for a year round vine that will cover our fence line. Flowering and non-flowering.

ANSWER:

There is really only one evergreen vine (I'm assuming that what you mean by year-round vine) that is native to your area.  There are two semi-evergreen (meaning that they retain their leaves in mild climates or mild winters in a more severe climate) vines.   I also list some perennial deciduous vines for your consideration.

EVERGREEN

Gelsemium sempervirens (evening trumpetflower)

SEMI-EVERGREEN

Bignonia capreolata (crossvine)

Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle)

DECIDUOUS

Berchemia scandens (Alabama supplejack)

Cissus trifoliata (sorrelvine)

Clematis drummondii (Drummond's clematis)

Clematis pitcheri (bluebill)

Ibervillea lindheimeri (Lindheimer's globeberry)

Ipomoea cordatotriloba (tievine)

Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper)

Vitis mustangensis (mustang grape)

Vitis vulpina (frost grape) and here are photos

Here are photos from our Image Gallery of the plants listed above:

Gelsemium sempervirens

Bignonia capreolata

Lonicera sempervirens

Berchemia scandens

Cissus trifoliata

Clematis drummondii

Clematis pitcheri

Ibervillea lindheimeri

Ipomoea cordatotriloba

Parthenocissus quinquefolia

Vitis mustangensis