Saturday - November 28, 2009

From: Santee, CA
Title: Evergreen for inland San Diego, California

QUESTION:

I'm looking for an evergreen tree for my inland San Diego residence, 30 foot max height, growth speed is not important. I had decided on the carrotwood until I found your site and discovered the problems that come with it. Thank you.

ANSWER:

Here are several native evergreen trees that should do well in your area:

Cercocarpus montanus (alderleaf mountain mahogany) grows to 20 feet

Cupressus arizonica (Arizona cypress) with a maximum height of 30-40 feet

Cupressus forbesii (tecate cypress) grows to 20 feet and here is a photo and more information

Lyonothamnus floribundus ssp. aspleniifolius (Catalina ironwood) grows to 30-50 feet and here are photos

Morella californica (California wax myrtle) grows to 25 feet and here are photos and more information

Here are photos of the first two from our Image Gallery:

Cercocarpus montanus

Cercocarpus montanus

Cupressus arizonica

Cupressus arizonica