Saturday - October 15, 2005

Topic: Non-Natives, Container Gardens
Title: Plant Care for Plumeria

I have a plumeria that is getting too tall for my small patio. How I should cut it back and can start the cuttings into new plants? Does the original plant need any special care when it is cut back?

Plumeria spp. or Frangipani are native to the Caribbean, tropical Pacific Islands, South America, and Mexico. Our interest and expertise at the Wildflower Center is native North American plants; however, we can guide you to sources that can help you care for this beautiful non-native. The Plumeria Society of America, Inc. is an excellent source for information on care. Among the titles offered in the Plumeria Care Bulletins are "Pruning and Shaping Your Container Grown Plumeria" and "Plumeria Cuttings: Making and Rooting".