Mr. Smarty Plants - Native vine for California deck

Tuesday - November 24, 2009

From: Fairfax, CA
Title: Native vine for California deck

QUESTION:

Can you recommend a native California vine to grow on our deck to cover a trellis under a deck? There is a canopy of live coast oak above the deck so there is bright, filtered light. Thank you.

ANSWER:

Here are a few vines that should do well on your trellis:  

Lonicera hispidula (pink honeysuckle)

Clematis lasiantha (pipestem clematis)

Calystegia purpurata, Pacific false bindweed and more photos

Aristolochia californica (California dutchman's pipe) and here are photos

Vitis californica (California grape) and here are photos and more information and information about the cultivar 'Roger's Red'

There are several nurseries in your area that specialize in native plants—Bay Natives, Yerba Buena, and Mostly Natives—that list some or all of these for sale.  Las Pilitas Nursery, a little further further away (Escondido and Santa Margarita), also has a large inventory of native plants.  You can find more by searching in our National Suppliers Directory.

Here are some photos from our Image Gallery:

Lonicera hispidula

Clematis lasiantha

Calystegia macrostegia