Mr. Smarty Plants - Evergreen shrubs for urns at entryway in Midland, Texas

Monday - November 16, 2009

From: Midland, TX
Title: Evergreen shrubs for urns at entryway in Midland, Texas

QUESTION:

I am looking for plants for large urns at my entry .. prefer something evergreen. The urns are about 3' tall with an opening of 10-12" .. also prefer a plant that is not too bushy or whose roots will not become matted. Thanks for any help .....

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants can't provide you with an evergreen plant that meets all your specifications, but here are evergreen shrubs/small trees that are native to your area that would be attractive in your entry urns.  Judicious pruning should  turn them and keep them in the size and shape that you want.  One note of caution about plants growing in containers outdoors is that since they don't have the insulation of the surrounding earth, their roots are more susceptible to freezing at extreme temperatures.  Since these plants are native to your area, they will survive normal winter temperatures but if the freezing temperatures are very low or last for several days, you should take measures to protect your plants' roots.

Choisya dumosa (Mexican orange) and photos and more information

Condalia ericoides (javelin bush) and more information and photos

Condalia hookeri (Brazilian bluewood) and more information

Garrya ovata (eggleaf silktassel) and more information

Garrya wrightii (Wright's silktassel) and more information

Juniperus monosperma (oneseed juniper) and more information

Larrea tridentata (creosote bush) and more information

Leucophyllum frutescens (Texas barometer bush) and more information

Rhus virens (evergreen sumac) and more information

Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain-laurel) and more information

Vauquelinia corymbosa ssp. angustifolia (slimleaf rosewood) and more information and more with photos

PHOTOS OF SOME OF THE ABOVE PLANTS FROM OUR IMAGE GALLERY:

Condalia ericoides

Condalia hookeri

Garrya ovata

Garrya wrightii

Juniperus monosperma

Larrea tridentata

Leucophyllum frutescens

Mahonia trifoliolata

Rhus virens

Sophora secundiflora

Vauquelinia corymbosa ssp. angustifolia