Tuesday - November 03, 2009

From: San Francisco, CA
Topic: Best of Smarty
Title: Is there an automated image download function for the NPIN Image Gallery?

QUESTION:

Hi, I have a database/web technical question. Do you provide an interface to retrieve photos from your website programatically? Thanks!

ANSWER:

Your question is a little unclear.  However, if what you're asking is if there is a way to download many or all of the NPIN Image Gallery images at once for use on your website, the answer is no.  In fact, we expressly forbid that.  What we do and do not allow regarding use of our images is defined on the Image Use Policy webpage from our website.  You should read this policy carefully before attempting to download images to avoid running afoul of our policies and the law.

You may request individual, high-resolution images for various authorized uses in several categories listed on the Image Request Form.  The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center makes the final determination regarding which category the proposed use qualifies.  Some use categories require payment of a fee for use of the NPIN Image Gallery images. 

You may, however, link to our images on our website from your website.  Here is a link to our webpage, Linking to the Image Gallery, explaining how this can be done.