Mr. Smarty Plants - Finding Viguiera dentata seeds or plants.

Monday - November 09, 2009

Title: Finding Viguiera dentata seeds or plants.
Answered by: Jackie OKeefe

QUESTION:

I'm trying to locate seeds or plants of Viguiera Dentata, but have been unsuccessful. With the poliferation of these beautiful flowers this fall, I don't understand why I can't locate them. Do you have any suggestions as to where I might find them? Thanks!

ANSWER:

You're right. There aren't a lot of sources that have seed available for Viguiera dentata (toothleaf goldeneye). In an online search One seed source showed up. Have you considered collecting some of the seed yourself from the roadside plants you've been admiring? A different species of viguiera, Viguiera stenoloba (resinbush), was available for purchase at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center's  Fall Plant Sale in October. The list of species that will be ready for the next sale, in April, is not available at this point.

Finding Viguiera dentata (toothleaf goldeneye) at a commercial nursery is improbable for several reasons. The principal one is that most commercial nurseries buy their plants from growers, so your interest in Viguiera dentata (toothleaf goldeneye) has to create a chain of interest from you to the nursery to the grower to the seed source. It takes a certain amount of demand – many people like you – to reach the point where a plant becomes commercially visible and economically viable. ...So keep on asking, and encourage others!

There are good photos and identification information at this site, which compares Viguiera dentata (toothleaf goldeneye) with Wedelia texana (hairy wedelia), another species which is contributing to the golden display this fall.  

Viguiera dentata

Viguiera stenoloba