Saturday - October 31, 2009

From: Leander, TX
Title: Will the new bluebonnet plants survive the winter?

QUESTION:

I live in Leander, and we've had 19 1/2 inches of rain in the past three weeks. ALL of our bluebonnets are coming up! Can they survive the winter?

ANSWER:

Your Lupinus texensis (Texas bluebonnet) are doing exactly what they are supposed to do—come up in the fall and grow slowly over the winter so that they are ready to respond and grow vigorously in the warm spring rains.  And, if we continue to get regular rainfall, they should be blooming spectacularly next April. 

You might like to read our How to Grow Bluebonnets article for more information about growing bluebonnets.

Lupinus texensis

Lupinus texensis

Lupinus texensis

Lupinus texensis