Mr. Smarty Plants - Viability of Texas madrone tree in Weatherford, TX

Tuesday - September 27, 2005

From: Weatherford, TX
Title: Viability of Texas madrone tree in Weatherford, TX

QUESTION:

I live in Weatherford, Texas (Parker County). Will a Madrone tree make it ok here and who sells them?

ANSWER:

The Texas madrone (Arbutus xalapensis) generally occurs in the Hill Country of Central Texas and the Big Bend area, but according to "The Useful Wild Plants of Texas, the Southeastern and Southwestern United States, the Southern Plains, and Northern Mexico, Vol. I" (Scooter Cheatham, Marshall Johnston and Lynn Marshall. 1995. Austin: Useful Wild Plants) the Texas madrone "...will grow in many different soils, from alkaline (pH 8) to acid (pH 5.7) and from limestone to blackland clay." It has been grown in the blackland soils of north central Texas. Natives of Texas specializes in madrone trees.