En EspaÑol

Thursday - October 29, 2009

From: Alta Loma, CA
Title: Trellis plant for Southern California

What is the best selection for a trellis plant? I live in Southern CA (zip 91701), and the area is on the southern part of our home with little or no shade. Thanks!

Without being quite sure about the size and sturdiness of your trellis, I am recommending several vines native to your area that should work.  After reading about the size and heft of these and general growing conditions, you can decide which ones fit your site.

Maurandella antirrhiniflora (roving sailor)

Clematis ligusticifolia (western white clematis)

Clematis lasiantha (pipestem clematis)

Calystegia macrostegia (California morning glory)

Vicia americana (American vetch)  and here are more photos and information

Funastrum cynanchoides (fringed twinevine) and here are photos and more information

Keckiella cordifolia (heartleaf keckiella) and here are photos and more information

Vitis californica (California wild grape) and here are photos and more information

Vitis girdiana (desert wild grape)

Lonicera hispidula (pink honeysuckle)

Maurandella antirrhiniflora

Clematis ligusticifolia

Clematis lasiantha

Calystegia macrostegia

Vicia americana

Vitis girdiana

Funastrum cynanchoides ssp. cynanchoides

Lonicera hispidula