Monday - October 26, 2009

From: Monterrey, Mexico
Region: Other
Title: Germination of Passiflora suberosa in Monterrey Mexico

Hello, I need recommendation on how to germinate Passiflora seeds. I have a Passiflora suberosa plant, not on your database but native, and have fresh fuits of it. They look very much like a blueberry, and the seeds are small. I have photos if you want. I live in Monterrey Mexico, hope you can answer. Thanks a lot.

You are correct, Passiflora suberosa does not appear in our Native Plant Database. The Database is an ongoing project, with more plants being added all the time, but a long way from finished. This plant appears as a native of one small area at the very southern tip of Texas and also in a large part of Florida. According to the USDA ARS-GRIN site, it is also native to Mexico. We did find this article Natives for Your Neighborhood from South Florida that included propagation and cultural information for the plant.