Rent Shop Volunteer Join

Q. Who is Mr. Smarty Plants?

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers are the culpable and capable culprits. Yet, others think staff members play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Help us grow by giving to the Plant Database Fund or by becoming a member

Did you know you can access the Native Plant Information Network with your web-enabled smartphone?

Share

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants is a free service provided by the staff and volunteers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Search Smarty Plants
See a list of all Smarty Plants questions

Please forgive us, but Mr. Smarty Plants has been overwhelmed by a flood of mail and must take a break for awhile to catch up. We hope to be accepting new questions again soon. Thank you!

Need help with plant identification, visit the plant identification page.

 
rate this answer
7 ratings

Friday - October 23, 2009

From: Griffin, GA
Region: Southeast
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Are Smilax species toxic?
Answered by: Nan Hampton

QUESTION:

I have a plant that the agriculture department told me was similax. I have a severe allergic reaction to it, after digging up the roots (potato) and burning them. I had a feeling my lungs inside were on fire. They told me however that there is nothing in this weed that could cause such an allegic reaction. If that is so, why do I start with a rash like poison ivy, next time it is worse and finally we have to keep an epi-pen in my pocket if I am outside working in my flowers or cutting grass. I have made 4 trips to the ER this summer, as in the past 5 yrs.Could you please tell me if the africulure dept is mistaken? Your help is greatly appreciated, as none of the Drs in the ER know what similax, green brier, or cat brier is. Thanks in advance for your help.

ANSWER:

I think you must mean Smilax.  You can see by the distribution maps from the USDA Plants Database that there are several species of Smilax that grow in Georgia.  I suspect that the agriculture department meant one of the following  Smilax bona-nox (saw greenbrier)Smilax laurifolia (laurel greenbrier), Smilax rotundifolia (roundleaf greenbrier), Smilax glauca (cat greenbrier), Smilax smallii (lanceleaf greenbrier), Smilax tamnoides (bristly greenbrier) or Smilax walteri (coral greenbrier).

Whichever Smilax species it might be, I could find no entry in any toxic plant database for any species in the genus Smilax.  The Botanical Dermatology Database lists the only possible injury from any Smilax species as being a mechanical injury from the thorns.  Indeed, concoctions of the roots have been used as folk medicines for various skin diseases as well as to make the drink sarsaparilla.  It is also used as a dietary supplement to increase strength in the belief that the body converts it into extra testosterone.

You obviously had a reaction to something but I suspect it was not to the Smilax itself.  As I see it, there are several possibilities:

1)  You came in contact with another plant growing with the Smilax that caused your dermatalogical reaction, e.g., Toxicodendron pubescens (Atlantic poison oak), Toxicodendron radicans (eastern poison ivy), or Toxicodendron vernix (poison sumac).  Breathing smoke from burning Toxicodendron species would cause a reaction in the lungs.

2)  The Smilax that you came in contact with had been treated with some sort of herbicide that caused your reaction.

3)  The agriculture department misidentified the plant and what you had was one of the poison oak/ivy/sumac plants listed above.

If you discover that your plant is, or is mixed in with, poison ivy/oak/sumac, you might like to read about ways to control it.

 

More Poisonous Plants Questions

Toxicity of Peruvian Lilies (Alstroemeria sp) for food decoration
September 04, 2006 - Hi, I am trying to find out if I can decorate a cake using live alstroemeria laid on top of the icing. I would not want to eat the flower, just lay it on top to look pretty before removing and servi...
view the full question and answer

Is Artemesia ludoviciana allelopathic?
February 20, 2009 - I recently read that Artemisia ludoviciana is allelopathic to some other plants. I planted some last fall between a rusty blackhaw viburnum and a Mexican buckeye. Do you know whether it is phytotoxi...
view the full question and answer

Jimsonweed and its toxic nature
June 21, 2011 - I purchased a Jimson weed plant at a local plant sale at the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center this spring and was quite surprised at how quickly & large it grew. After the first round of flowers fa...
view the full question and answer

Trees poisonous to horses from Landrum SC
April 15, 2012 - Please tell me if the following trees are poisonous to horses: hickory, beech, poplar, and redbud. Thank you very much.
view the full question and answer

Dogs developing allergic skin problems in Waco TX
February 24, 2011 - We have 2 West Highland White terriers..since we moved 2 yrs. ago, they have developed TERRIBLE skin problems at our new home, about 5 miles from our old home, in Waco. What contact plants, shrub...
view the full question and answer

Support the Wildflower Center by Donating Online or Becoming a Member today.